Tuesday, January 26, 2016

2 Essential Questions

When I ponder the two essential questions “Who’s writing the script of my life?” and “Who’s to say what’s right?”, I immediately have pre-disposed assumptions that color my perspective. I grew up in an agnostic home, while I have recently become a Christian in the past couple years. Both my agnostic background and my new roots in Christianity give me a unique perspective on these subjects.
In considering the first question, I believe that GOD has an overall idea of the person that He wants us to become, and that He places opportunities and occurrences in our paths that both give us the chance to live up to our full potential, but that also shape us into unique beings through the path we take to realize His plan for us. In my opinion, there is not a single way to become the person GOD wants us to be, and we are free to take the journey we choose to take in order to get there, (or not get there). Some people believe that GOD is responsible for every twist and turn that comes about in our lives, but I believe that we mostly act with free will and that our consequences and rewards are a direct result of our own actions. By accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior and doing our best to truly listen and pay attention to what we feel GOD is trying to do in our lives, I believe we may have a much easier time in our journeys, but I also believe that those that refuse to accept GOD into their hearts and change direction when He clearly interferes in the paths we have chosen, have a high possibility of never realizing their full potential.
In considering the second question, I am a firm believer that the Bible is not the only source of Truth by which we should guide our moral compass. Overall, the Bible sets guidelines like the Ten Commandments and Book of Proverbs that set out essential teachings of Jesus that should ultimately be followed, but I do not believe that things are always black and white. Over time, society has also grown and evolved into a place that is not comparable to the society in which Jesus lived, and I believe that issues arise that should be handled by gut instinct. I’m a huge believer in the principle that if something intrinsically feels right or wrong, it probably is. For that reason, I try to follow overall Truths that the Bible has laid out for us, but I live my day-to-day life by acting in the way that I feel in my gut to be right. I also try to consider that Christianity is not the only religion in the World, and that many people form their moral beliefs based on religions that I may not understand or adhere to. However, at our core, we are all human, and by treating each other with basic respect and kindness and using our heart to guide our actions, we can coexist peacefully.



No comments:

Post a Comment