Friday, March 4, 2016

3/4

Throughout the first half of the semester we have been discussing the question of whether or not humanity is in control of their lives.  Are the choices we make our own or do they come from a higher power.  We have research to support both positions and I have learned a lot about this question.  I believe that humanity is not in control of themselves but that higher powers control our paths.  This has been evident throughout my entire life in many big decisions.  Everything that could be perceived in my life as a “choice” is actually just a consequence of another action.  I played basketball in high school because it was my families favorite sport and so I was put in it from a young age.  I go to Belmont because my mothers friend suggested I go and nowhere else i got into offered my major.  I drink a lot of black tea because my father is english.  I believe that everything I am is created by a unique group of circumstances.  I align most strongly with the Theological determinism belief.  Since I was raised in the church I have developed a relationship with God.  I was taught that everything good that happened in my life is a “God thing” or a miracle.  It is crucial that we understand how our lives are written so that we can make the best out of our lives.  Since I hold the belief that God is in control of my life, I will make choices that I believe will allow him to bless me.  God teaches that if you act according to his word, your life will be blessed.  Since there is nothing I can do as a human to change my life, I must look to God’s higher power for guidance.  This has implications on my every moment.  I must have a heart that pours out God’s love in order to live a blessed life.  This is almost a self fulfilling prophecy though because if I treat everyone i come upon kindly then I will probably be treated with that same respect.  And if I work my hardest at everything I attempt, then I will probably be successful at everything i do.  Honestly, after reading everything and studying about this subject, I still don’t know fully what I believe but I’m okay with that.  I attempt every day to honor God and to make what I believe are the best decisions for myself.  Therefore I am covering both the free will and the determinism sides.  I don’t think I will ever know for sure which is true and I have come to accept that.  Humans can debate which is reality but I think there are some things that are beyond our knowledge.  That is why I must lean towards determinism because there has to be something more than our limited brain power. But because I can never know for sure I will continue to attempt to live my life balancing the two.   

No comments:

Post a Comment